Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mowing the Lawn

I just finished mowing my lawn for the first time this year. Even thought it takes me well over an hour to cut the acre and a half of lawn, I really enjoy doing it. This year the mowing has taken on a spiritual aspect for me.

After the long hard winter and the first application of Scott's Step Four the grass was growing in clumps. All the grass was up but in some spots it was thicker than in others. As I mowed (I love the aroma of freshly cut grass), there seemed to be a stronger than usual fragrance of wild onions. There seem to be many more than I've noticed in the past. It must be the fertilizer.

It really felt like Easter. The new bright green grass has once again replaced the wet leaves left last Autum. The dafodils and jonquils have sprouted and are in full bloom. The trees are budding and almost starting to show their new growth. The beautiful birds; robins, cardinals and bluejays along with the red headed woodpecker are doing their spring thing.

I, too, have begun to emerge from the long, cold, and very snowy winter. I have searched my soul through Lent and have recalled the Agony in the Garden, the Crucifixion, and the Glorious Resurrection of Easter. The thicker sections of my soul have been trimmed. I have tried to prepare myself for new growth and new horizons. I have been washed in the blood of the Lamb.

1 comment: